November 04, 2006

Counter steering

Now this morning sitting here at the computer, thinking about what to write here at this blog, I remembered that there was something about counter steering that I had never gotten looked into as much as I wanted to, but I thought I had the basic idea what it was about and it wasn't so complicated, so just understanding it in a little time now and then write a blog post explaining it would be great .... it turns out that is not possible.

Counter steering is far from as simple as I just though. Ssure the gyroscopic effect, that I thought it was all about, has a lot to say here, but there are other things like rake and trail to consider that I hardly even thought about.
So this is going to be something I will need to study a bit more ...

In short counter steering is the action of pulling my motorcycle wheel in the opposite direction of the turn to lean the bike into the turn fast and efficiently.
Many seem to want to teach people that they should think of it as push steering, I understand that this is easier to comprehend as it easier for brain to understand when you are used to cars and bikes at low speed that you should "do action" on the side of the bike that you want to turn to, but I have a feeling that keeping on thinking of it as pull steering is the way to go, for me anyhow. I have tried doing both when riding and somehow pull steering just seems the most efficient to me.

I think it will be really healthy for me to really understand counter steering. both for the sake of everyday riding totally correct and efficiently, but most of all to be able to handle the emergency turn that I might at some point have to make to safe my life and/or others absolutely perfect.

I have been looking through a few pages this morning, I'd recommend this one for people totally unknown with aspect of counter steering and this one for those who want to know more.

No comments: